On 22:00 24 Sep 2002, Chavez Gutierrez, Freddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| >> Hi, I want to change a directory name in my linux box, so I tried
| >> "mv oldname newname" but it doesn't work. How can I do that?
|
| >Why do you say it doesn't work?  Do you get an error?
| >If so, what's the error?  What's the directory name?
|
| The error is:
|   # mv name NAME
|   mv: cannot move `name' to a subdirectory of itself, `NAME/name'
| The directory is in a smb mount directory. Thanks.

Ahaha.

On Winblows systems "name" and "NAME" are both valid names for "name"
because Windows is case insensitive. So your command is the same as
"mv name name".

Since the incantation "mv something directory" is interpreted as "mv
something directory/something" (i.e move something _into_ the directory),
your error message follows.

I take it what you actually want to achieve is to change the case
of "name", then on the premise that your SMB mounted thing is case
preserving, try this:

        mv name foo
        mv foo NAME

Should do the trick. Cheers,