On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:17:23 -0600
"Ashley M. Kirchner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     I give up.  Thank you to everyone who has responded and tried to
>     help, but
> no matter what I tried, a stock kernel will just not boot up with an
> AHA-1542CP.  There are several suggestions both on the list, as well
> as on webpages, but none of them made any difference.  So, I'm stuck
> having to re-compile the kernel every time there is a new one just
> so I can boot up the system properly.
>
>     Once again, thanks to everyone who tried to help.  It just
>     doesn't work.

    When you arrive at the next kernel upgrade, or if you happen to be
inside the machine, check to see if the SCSI card has 'plug-n-play'
enabled. It is SW 1 on the card's block of switches. By default PnP is
enabled (SW -1 = OFF.) The documentation for the 1542CP refers to
'some Unixes' not working well with PnP. I may well be the source of
your problems.

    http://www.sms.com/Adaptec/Install_Guides/aha1540cp_ig.pdf

    My 1542CF doesn't have PnP as a 'feature.'

                                                            Regards,

                                                               Tom