Palanikumar Ramalingam wrote:
> Dear redhat users:
> I have a problem with my CDrom. I tried the following:
> root@localhost kumar]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
[snip]

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink to your actual device (see below).  Try
the above command with the real device instead, ie:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

If that works, then put the symlink back again:

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

and try the original mount command again.  Redhat generally puts the
symlink in for you, as well as maintains the fstab file.  You
shouldn't need to edit it by hand for standard devices like cdroms
and hard disk partitions, but non-standard devices (like compact
flash memeory cards) are another story.

That said, sometimes RedHat gets confused and you need to massage
things by hand to get it back again.

Kudzu (the hardware detection tool) normally sees all the connected
devices (IDE, PCI, etc) at boot time, as long as they're powered on,
but you may have a loose cable or something.  If you're not afraid
to open the case, check and make sure your IDE device cables are all
seated properly (on both ends).

If all the above is fine, and you still see intermittent devices
(ie, sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not) then you
probably have either a bad drive or a bad motherboard controller (or
possibly a bad cable).  It happens more often than you might think;
I have several boards with bad components (ie, bad IDE chip, bad
PS/2 controller, etc) where everything else on the board works fine.
  Also, some (older) IDE controller chips come broken out of the box
(but they have known workarounds incorporated in the kernel).

HTH, Steve