I don't know the answer but I would suggest swapping out your network
cards for different types and compiling the latest kernel 2.4.19 , as a
good start the problem sounds like a software issue and its pretty much
all in the kernel

I used to have problems with rtl8139 cards in 2.2 and early 2.4 but now
their gone, with the latest kernel and driver

This would be the quickest and dirtiest solution no doubt

Simon