If this box is acting only as a router, RedHat 7.3 may not be the best
answer.  It would be worth checking out the Linux Router Project.  I
think there web site is http://www.lrp.org/.  You could probably at
least check with these guys and see if they know what is going wrong.

They have created a Linux distro with the single purchase of routing.
If I remember correctly it loads from a single floppy.  So maybe you
could run a test without modifying your existing installation.

Cheers, Sam