On Thursday 10 October 2002 11:02 am, you is done writ:
> My linux (RH7.2 / Ximian / Gnome2) box is now crashing daily
> from SegFault errors

>The system often locks durring screen savers (though this may be
> do to the NVidia Drivers).  I get regular crashes from my browser(galeon).

Are you saying the the entire system locks up, and that you have to hit the
manual reset button on the computer, or can you, for example, hit
leaving everything else running just fine?

> And usually when I reboot (couple times a day now), it winds up doing
> major repairs to the file system (ext3). Sometimes afterwords it informs
> me that 4.3% of my / partition is non-contiguous.

With any Real o/s, that's because if you reboot without doing a shutdown,
the o/s's memory buffers, where it keeps changes to things (and only flushes
them, that is, writes them to disk, every so often - memory is fast, disk
access is slow), haven't been flushed, so it needs to go through the journals
and bring the system up to the last changes before proceeding.

> usually during shut down (when I've been haveing segfault problems) it
> will tell me it FAILED shutting down xfs.

Look at /var/log/messages. See if it tells you any more. If that doesn't
help, the harder way is to look for a core file. If you find one, bring it up
in gdb (gdb -c ./core, assuming you're in the same directory as the
corefile), and see what gdb says the name of the program was. Oh, and it's
<ctl>d to quit gdb.

*If* it's only xfs, then there's a utility... I think it's chkfontpath, to
see what it can't find. Or it might be that xfs is corrupt, for some reason
(reinstall xfs).

More data, please.

        mark
--
The truth will out: someone got it at last:
   Dogs have masters; cats have staff.