On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 15:37, linux power wrote:
> Ok. Then I think I buy a used PC and use it as a
> router for my windozes and install a minimum
> configuration.

exactly what I did.  The real issue now is in my paranoid mind is that
you do not know what sort of stuff has been installed/ modified
including the system tools that are normally used to track down these
sort of problems.  Your logging module for ipchains has been dinked with
that we know of and that is really scary unles someone comes back and
says hey, that is done by blah blah it is not a problem. Not likey IMHO.

Now having said all that, I am assuming that you will still be using
this box behind the firewall that you are going to build.  I submit that
your old machine can still be used in some sort of DDOS attack or
scanning since connections to the big bad interent can be made from
within the trusted network and your firewall will allow that to happen
of course.

As was mentioned very early in this discussion, by others before I put
my 2cents in, you have NO way of knowing what has changed without some
really serious forensic work and that has bee hampered by the lack of
intrusion detection software that would of at least have given you a
baseline if done correctly.

I know it is a pain in the rear, but remember that you may be
contributing to the spread of the worm or whatever it is that made in
onto your system and causing significant damage to other people's
system.  I would not want to be responsible for that simply because I
was too lazy to go through the hassle of reinstalling and I Hate
reinstalling.  I did theximian evo thing about a year ago and I have
been unable to make myself take the time to redo the mess ximian made
because my laptop is my primary computer.

Do us all a favor, and pick a rainy weekend and rebuild the hacked box.

Bret