We're having some NFS trouble that's making us relucant to use Linux NFS
servers at the moment, much as we'd like to.

We just moved our workgroup server to linux/x86 from a solaris/sparc,
and started getting:

NFS lookup failed for server dcs.nac.uci.edu: error 7 (RPC:
Authentication error)

...sometimes, when we reboot the NFS server.  It seems that reexporting
(and sometimes mounting in a 2nd place on the clients?) "fixes" the
problem temporarily, but then it comes back again later.  I'm not
convinced it happens every time we reboot.

The message above is from a Solaris box, but I know this is happening
with more than one OS - I'm not sure if it's also happening with Linux
NFS clients, Tru64 NFS clients, or both Linux and Tru64 NFS clients.

I searched the google groups archives and saw that a guy from Burlington
Coat Factory was having the same problem, but no one had posted a
(public) solution for him.  I tried the lkml archives on
www.cs.helsinki.fi via altavista, and found nothing.

This particular NFS server runs 7.3, but we've also seen the problem on
at least two 7.1 NFS servers.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?

--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS