On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:27:21 -0600
"K. Vaughan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for replying. This puts me in a quandry, however, as to my
> knowledge I can't change the username in Windows 2000 without
> blowing up the user's profile. I'll try editing the UIDs and see if
> that helps any. I have also posted my smb.conf file in another
> message, so if you see anything glaring in there, please let me
> know.

===snip===

  In the section for the Drive_F share, the "valid users =" names have
no space between them. Try:

    valid users = Sky, Cas

  If you have a user Sky on both machines, and the Win2000 password
for Sky matches the /etc/samba/smbpasswd (check for the same UID.) and
 you should be set. Your friend does have to login as Sky and give
Sky's samba password.
  I'm not a Samba expert by an means. The real Gurus on the List may
find other problem entries.
  I have  Win3.1 and a Win98 on a home LAN. I use them to mostly to
troubleshoot my friends' Windows apps. And whenever relatives come to
visit, they can access their AOL and Juno e-mail accounts.
  Try putting the spaces between the names, restart Samba (as root)
with:

                 service smb restart

In Win2000, when you map the share, it would be in form:

                 \\linuxmachinename\Drive_F

                    Best,

                    Tom