From: Jonathan Gaudette [mailto:webmaster@;digital-drip.com]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 11:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USB hard drive with Linux?

How do you find out what usb device your hard drive is connected to?  I
don't see it anywhere.  I am an external hard drive (comp. usa brand)
that I've been trying to hook up, randomly selecting scsi devices and
trying to mount them, but nothing works.  I also have a palm that I want
to start sync'ing up, but I have no idea how to begin identifying which
usb ports are where in /dev :(

-Jon

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 21:30, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Steven Raymond wrote:
>
> > When you say "painful", do you mean there are more problems, or simply a
> > lot slower?
>
> A *lot* slower. Large backups were writing at about 1MB/s.
>
> > Did you ever get it working under RH7.2?
>
> I got the drive working, but not the shutdown umount. Like I said, if
> you're using a journaling filesystem, that shouldn't be a huge worry. But
> three machines and two versions of Red Hat later, it still won't umount
> automatically for me.
>
> > Forever ~ many hours, overnight, two weeks?  I tried overnight and it
was
> > still 5xx/1024.
>
> About 3 hours or so on my 120 GB drive, and the I/O caused the rest of the

> system to slow down while it was chugging away.
>
> --
> "The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the
> friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes."
>
>                       - Holly, JMC Vessel *Red Dwarf*
>

> --
-Jon "GenKiller" Gaudette
Digital Drip Webmaster (digital-drip.com)
CNCNZ Co-Webmaster (cncnz.com)