Ernest E. Vogelsinger  wrote:
>on my box (RH 7.2 SMP), rpm -q --whatrequires glibc returns:

>timeconfig-3.2.2-1
>authconfig-4.1.19.2-1
>ppp-2.4.1-3
>kdenetwork-2.2.2-1
>glibc-devel-2.2.4-30

>There doesn't seem to be a kernel-live-module that requires glibc.

>That also makes sense, IMHO. As it seems the kernel modules are statically
>linked to allow a replacement of glibc to a newer version without grounding
>the kernel.
<snip>
The person you're responding to is right - getting rid of glibc will leave
your entire system hosed. The reason for this is that *anything* written in
C, or C++, or environments written in them (say, java), all depend on the
standard C libraries...and that is what glibc *is*.

        mark "this application is dead, Jim; you grab its source code,
                and I'll grab its revenue stream...."

---
Mark Roth

   Unix/Linux systems administrator & software developer

   Affordable Linux technical support and training for the home user and
small business.  For more information, please contact me at:
        email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        phone +1 773 274 2584