Greetings everyone,

I recently got a new hard drive and replaced my old hard drive (which had Red
Hat 7.2 installed on it) with it. I installed Red Hat 8.0 on the new drive
and everything worked smoothly. However, now I need to get some important
data off my old hard drive. I jumpered it up in my PC as a slave drive, but
whenever I try booting my PC, for some reason, GRUB seems to try booting from
it too - it gets confused with the partition mounts and then gets
interminably stuck while trying to load the system logger.

How do I resolve this problem? Would it be possible for me to re-wire the old
drive as a master again, and then boot up into RH7.2 and change /etc/fstab so
there are no conflicts? I don't understand hardware very well - if I wire a
drive up as a slave, surely it shouldn't try and start up during the boot
process?

Any suggestions and opinions welcome, as I am at a dead end!

JIN