On Thursday October 31 2002 11:42 am, Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
> > I am managing a machine that was used by several people. One of the users
> > often time run a program (written in fortran) that takes huge CPU and
> > Memory that make the machine very un-responsive. So, the basic question
> > is, how do I prevent him to run that program without revoking his user
> > account? and yes, I emailed him several times to notify this. But either
> > he does not read the e-mail or he doesn't care.
>
> Is this a program that he writes and compiles?  You can setup a quota
> system that will limit how much CPU a user is allowed.  I'm afraid I've
> never done this though, so I can't be of much help.  I just know that it
> *can* be done.

Yes, it's a program that was wrriten and compiled by the user. I put a
priority for this user in file /etc/security/limits.conf. I wonder is there
is a way to put a quota for CPU % a user is allowed. The only thing that I
saw that can be set there is Max CPU Time. Or is that the same thing? Forgive
my ignorance. here part of my /etc/security/limits.conf

#<item> can be one of the following:
#        - core - limits the core file size (KB)
#        - data - max data size (KB)
#        - fsize - maximum filesize (KB)
#        - memlock - max locked-in-memory address space (KB)
#        - nofile - max number of open files
#        - rss - max resident set size (KB)
#        - stack - max stack size (KB)
#        - cpu - max CPU time (MIN)
#        - nproc - max number of processes
#        - as - address space limit
#        - maxlogins - max number of logins for this user
#        - priority - the priority to run user process with
#        - locks - max number of file locks the user can hold

username           hard     priority       100000

What else can I add here?
Thanks.
/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML
\ /  email and proprietary format