While I'm not a newbie with Linux (mostly abuse Apache and Java on my box) I take a
lot of things for granted. One is how BASH works. It works most of the time.

In fact I'm a TCSH convert to BASH. In RHL 7.3 BASH is the default shell, hence my
conversion. But let me ask about the ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, etc. files.  They
don't seem to work.

I have looked up all the documentation. The man pages state that ~/.bash_profile is
read in turn with /etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc but the ~/.bash_profile is disabled or
just not being read. I have CLASSPATH settings for my shell in this file and have to
manually source it with each new shell I use. Annoying.

Is there something I'm missing here? Something that needs to be turned on? I saw a
reference to BASH_PROFILE="TRUE" on one site but that didn't do the trick.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

/**
 * Timothy Stone      . Sun Certified Java Programmer
 * Web Master         . tstone at cityofhbg dot com
 * City of Harrisburg . 717.255.7297
 * Pennsylvania USA   . 717.903.9162
 *
 * "This Satan's drink [coffee] is so delicious,
 *  we shall cheat Satan and baptize it."
 *  --Pope Clement VIII
 */