Paul, et al.,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm making fundamental mistake in understanding the difference between a login
shell and non-login shell.

I found out that the ~/.bash_profile is read when, for example, I do the following:

C:\>ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
in .bash_profile << echo
%

Vs. opening a new shell to work at the command line, for example, in KDE:

Alt-F2
konsole

So, knowing this... I can work around by putting my CLASSPATH, etc. in my ~/.bashrc
but this seems like a poor hack. What is the best practice?

Thanks,
Tim