Like someone else said, is the daemon on and running?

Also, can you use your favorite editor and look at the
mysql.sock file and also see who see the ownership
over it?

I'm having trouble with MySQL and I'm missing my.cnf
under /etc and when I try to start mine, the error
message refers me to mysql.sock file which is under
the tmp directory

thanks

-Chris

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through >socket
>'/var/lib/mysql/m
>ysql.sock' (111)

>When I type this I get the error above after I enter
my >password.
>Any
>ideas?  I have not changed the origianl config for
MSQL.

=====