It is not an ssh problem as ssh seems to be doing it's job, once it get's to the point where it provides a login shell, it has already done everything it does. Do you see the motd of a new mail message before you are disconnected?

At a minimum, the user's home directory must be owner executable (ex: chmod 700 <directory>) and the user must have read & execute bits on the bash executable. (ex: chmod 555 /bin/bash)

Next check the contents of your rc files, $HOME/.bash_profile, $HOME/.bashrc, $HOME/.profile and also check /etc/profile

If these all seem fine, determine every package/rpm you have installed since the system was installed and determine if something was hosed that way.

Also, one thing to try, if you are on the console, can you su to the user in question: 'su - <username>' ? If you are unable to login in, boot into single user mode and take a look.

Hope this helps,
CC

sentinel wrote:
We have a fresh installation of RedHat 7.3 running Oracle 8.1.7.  I had it
all running when this morning I noticed our Big Brother alert me that no
reports were being received.

I tried to ssh (even tried ftp) and am getting the following error message

Could not chdir to home directory /home/user_name: Permission denied
/bin/bash: Permission denied
Connection to server closed.

---

I checked the rights and am confused.  It looks like the rights are fine and
sshd is running on the server side.  I tried the same thing from the
console.  Same problem.  I suspect a pam problem but am unsure how to go
about checking it.  Thoughts?

Much appreciated.