On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 23:22, Barry Lee wrote:
> However, I am now unable to get any version of Windows to install on the
> old hard drive. I have low level formatted...

I don't even remember the last time I saw a machine offer the option of
a low level format.  You shouldn't ever need to do that.

> , repartitioned and tried
> installing Windows 3.1, Windows 98 and Windows ME, all to no avail. The
> errors that come up differ with each version of windows but none of them
> get past the first part of the setup programme. Scandisk tells me there
> are no errors on the drive.

Try looking up the error messages on google, or in microsoft's knowledge
base.

> Has Red Hat made the hard drive unusable for anything except Linux?

No.  DOS fdisk can't delete Linux extended partitions, but if you've low
level formated and repartitioned, that should no longer be a problem.
Nothing else that Linux does has any effect on DOS.