Gee, nobody replied with any suggestions or anything so I'm trying again!

Hi There ... a kernel newbie needs some explicit instructions on recompiling
an 8.0 kernel with the sourceforge.net Emu10k1 sound driver 0.20a. This is a
driver suitable for a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy OEM card.

I've got the kernel source and the driver source ... I find the instructions
in the driver readme as to how to recompile the kernel with the driver
support to be quite oblique ... I am a newbie, after all.

Here are the instruction souceforge includes with the driver source:

Configuring
-----------
You should already be running the kernel for each you are compiling the
driver
at this point. Then you just need to type "make" in the main directory.
The KERNEL_VERSION printed in the last message should match the kernel
you want to compile the driver for, if not:

1. Using your own kernel sources (preferred)
Make sure you have configured your kernel sources ("make
oldconfig/config/menuconfig")and created the dependecies files ("make dep").

2. Using RedHat distribution kernel sources.
Copy/link one of the config files in linux/configs/*.config to
linux/.config. The file should match your running kernel.

3. Using other distribution kernel sources.
   Try point 2 above.

Compilation
-----------
To compile the driver, simply type "make" a second time in the main
directory. This will generate the files "emu10k1.o"
and "ac97_codec.o" (and "emu10k1-joy.o" for 2.2 kernels).

SO:

1. Where do I install the driver source to? Does it matter?
2. Re. "1.", what's this "configure your kernel sources" all about and,
literally, how do I do it (step-by-step)
3. Re. "2.", which directory do I copy link to? Do you mean 1 level up?
4. Now explain the steps involved in compiling....

HELP!
---