Most computers have a BIOS security setting that protects against MBR
viruses by making the MBR read-only. Usually you can change it to
unprotect the MBR. If the HP Vectra 400 BIOS does not allow you to
unprotect the MBR (that is possible, though I've never seen such a
case), probably your only recourse would be to place the hard disk in
somebody else's machine, install GRUB and get it working to your
satisfaction, and then put the hard disk back into the HP Vectra.

Another possibility would be to create a small partition on /dev/hda1
and install DOS, and use the LOADLIN.EXE utility to start Linux. Not
very elegant, but it works (assuming that DOS will boot from your hard
disk).

Good luck,
Robert Storey

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 23:27, Van Den Abeele Kristof wrote:
> Hello List ,
>

> The facts  :
>

> A fresh Redhat 8.0 installation on a 1Ghz Hp Vectra 400 pc.
>
> 1 Harddisk as master on IDE1. ( hda ) containing following file systems : /boot (
>hda1) ; / (hda2)  and swap ( hda3)
>

> The pc is unable to boot from the hd , only from a floppy boot disk. ( created at
>installation )
>
> It seems to be a problem on al the hp vectra pc's. ( other people mentionned the
>same problem , but nobody knew the solution )
>

> This list suggested me to look at the manuals for grub , which I did.
>
> I tried to install grub on the master boot record with the grub-install command.
>Everything looked fine , but after a reboot it didn't work.
>

> What am I doing wrong here. I must install on the MBR because I have only one
>Operating system , right ?
>

> Tips , hints and suggestions more then welcome , because I'm a bit stuck here....
>

> Kristof
>
> ----

1.

NORMAL.DOT