On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     Before I condemn a machine, I want to check here first.  One of my servers
> just recently started Segfaulting randomly.  Doesn't matter the task, doesn't
> matter at which point during the task, it'll segfault eventually.
>
>     Now when I strace things, the general location most things tend to segfault
> looks something like this:
>
> munmap(0x401e7000, 4096           = 0
> brk(0x813a000)                    = 0x813a000
> brk(0x813b000)                    = 0x813b000
>

>     An /sbin/service command occasionally will return:
>
> malloc: dispose_cmd.c:224: assertation botched
> *ap++ == 0x55
> Stopping myself.../sbin/service: line 65  3486 Aborted
> env -i LANG=$LANG "${SERVICEDIR}/${SERVICE}" ${OPTIONS}
>
>     Re-running it a second time will work.
>
>     So, first thing I did was replace all the memory.  Unfortunately, the
> problem is still there.  So, what else could be causing these errors?  Or
> should I just scrap this machine and build a new one?

Could be hardware, could be software. If there were software changes
(upgrading libraries, bad restores from tape, etc) that could cause
"random problems" as well. Changes in usage (load, performance) can also
cause these problems.

Sorry, not much help I know.

--
\ \/ / _       |~\  _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
 >  < / \|\  /|+-< | |   "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_|    a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole