If someone has write access to a samba share, then I believe that there
is no way to restrict them from deleting files on that share and I don't
think samba will log deletions (someone please correct me if I'm wrong
here).

<shamelessplug>

I have written a shared library that can be loaded via
/etc/ld.so.preload or the LD_PRELOAD environment variable that
intercepts calls to unlink() and logs them to the syslog.  This library
cannot prevent file deletions, and there are ways of circumventing it,
but it can give you a log of which user and what program deleted which
file.

You can take a look at it at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/auditunlink

If your system is fairly active, the logs can get quite large, but it
may give you the information for which you seek.  It's been tested and
works on my system with samba-2.2.3a on Red Hat 7.3 running as a member
server in a Windows 2000 domain.

</shamelessplug>

Hope this helps,
Andy.