We're trying to set up a Qualstar 4222 tape library on a Red Hat 7.3 system. Most operations work fine, but I'm not able to switch tapes using 'mtx next' or similar. Behaviour is rather like the one described under "bugs and limitations" in the mtx manual page, i.e. it will

sit there snapping the robot arm's claws around thin air
trying to grab a tape that's not there.

We've had no luck with the suggested workaround - 'mt offline' - however. We are simply unable to run the command without getting error messages.

Has anyone successfully operated such a library? How?