On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:12:17PM -0500, Martin Richard wrote:
> I would like to know which printing system is the best? And if you can
> explain me why, I will be more happy. I heard about CUPS and LPR.
> I will install RH 8.0 and I ask me the best to install and use.

I've run both and much prefer cups.  It's got a more of a Windows look
and feel to it which may be blasphemous, but the darn thing just works.
I was involved in the early Mandrake betas when cups was starting to
roll out and saw some of the print options coming out, and the quality
of the drivers (on an Epson Photo printer at the time).  Overall, it was
just a rock solid printing subsystem that offered everthing I needed.

lpr/lpd is good for basic printing and doing weird things like
pretending you're talking to a printer when in fact you might be doing
Postscript to PDF conversion via Ghostscript.  lpr/lpd has been around
forever but has traditionally left all the fancy print driver issues to
the individual applications instead of centralized for consistency.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]