I am just switching over to CUPS from LPRng, but so far I pefer
CUPS. I use a raw quene for alot of my work with cups I only
need one printer setup and can send it with -oraw. With LPRng
I had to mess with printcaps to do what I wanted and fix them
after any operation that caused LPRng to recreate printcaps. Also
I have found that CUPS prints web pages and other files that
our converted by ghostscript 10 times faster on my system.
The CUPS mailing list also seems helpful and their is a book
that gives very complete documentation that you can purchase
form ESP. Also CUPS is easy to change options on your printer
and has a persistant print queue so if the printer is off it
will print when it is turned back on several hours later LPRng
simply removed the job.
                 Linda Hanigan