True, I know this one, but by default the other database servers support
case-insensitivity, this includes oracle, mysql, sapdb if I am not wrong
since its oracle compatible.

We had to change our application to deal with this by lowercasing all
the data which we never had a problem with in MySQL prior to swapping to
Postgres, but the thing is that if we had to have a search through the
database server for our web app it would be tricky !

ASD.

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 04:46, Jens Tautenhahn wrote:
> > The only thing that I dislike about Postgres is the case-sensitivity of
> > data in the database, if anybody knows how to turn it off let me know.
>
> You can use select statements like this:
> select * from abc where upper(xyz) = 'SEARCH';
> select * from abc where xyz ~* 'search';
>
> POSIX Regular Expressions include operators for case insensitive
> matches.
>
> Jens
>
> --
> registered linux user #130250
>

> --
 Aly S.P Dharshi
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Student and System Administrator ORS Servers

      "A good speech is like a good dress
    that's short enough to be interesting
    and long enough to cover the subject"