When I tried the "modprobe -r ip_tables" it gave me an error that the
device was busy. The previous two commands seemed to work ok.

If I use iptables, should I remove ipchains completely? Right now the
firewall is stuck on "High" and I can't change it.

Can I uninstall ipchains, by removing the rpm? Will that do it?
How do I then open it up so there is no firewall? Isn't there a few
iptables command to flush the rules or something?

Then I can work on closing it back up again using the other tools you
suggested.

Thanks,
James