Ok, along this line of thinking, ftp is a protocol that is for
transfering files, yet the ftp deamon allows for setting a upper level
directory. The ssh protocol is for encrypted command line access, why
can't the ssh deamon provide access control also?

Thank you very much,
Steve

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 07:02:27PM -0500, Steve Howard wrote:
> > Can I set an upper level directory, /home/user, for example for each
> > user? I have been able to do this with ftp, but can I do it with
ssh?

> You mean you want to chroot the user so that they can't transfer files
> outside of that directory?  If so, the answer is no, openssh does not
> support this.  Any user that has ssh access to your system (or sftp
via
> the openssh server) has regular access to every file, including your
world
> readable password file.  This limitation is why I claim that ftp is
> *more* secure than ssh for file transfers in many/most environments.
>
> For some very odd reason, the openssh aren't too eager to fix this and
> when I raised this with the Red Hat openssh package maintainer, he
> wasn't eagar either since he felt that if the openssh group wasn't
going
> to do, he shouldn't either.

If you are so paranoid you must use some restricted shell, or do a
chroot
(but then you must provide some binaries within), etc.

Personally I don't think it's the job of ssh to do this, I think is the
job of the shell, ssh provides just the secure communication channel
(i.e. overloading it will be both difficult and unnecessary)

Cheers,
--
Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer Systems Manager