On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:13:41PM -0000, Will Mc Donald wrote:
> From: "Alan Peery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > It seems a relatively simple set of mods for sshd, and I am surprised
> > that the OpenSSH people aren't interested.  Perhaps there is something
> > in the structure of the code that would make it unexpectedly difficult.
>
> http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/

This doesn't appear very practical.  With hundreds of users (I'm over
500 now), I'd have to have hundres of copies of the shared libraries and
executables that every user needs.  The current versions of wu-ftpd
don't need that to support chroot'ed users.  The author also claims that
it might be possible to break out of the chroot, and this is something I
simply can't afford.

To add extra complication to the issue, the chrootsh patch is maintained
by a single individual.  This makes it a little tougher to support if a
new rpm comes out from Red Hat.  I wouldn't be able to use up2date but
would have to get the source rpm, download the latest patch from
sourceforge, and hope that it's compatible. If it isn't yet, I'm stuck
between a rock and a hard place.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]