Dear RedHat List,
     I have had Red Hat 8.0 installed for about a month and all seemed to go
well, but recently I have had problems with the ftp service timing out
(wu-ftpd version 2.6.2-8) when connecting from a remote machine on my local
network.  If I ftp localhost from machine on which the server is running, it
does eventually connect, but only after about 2 minutes.  I started trying
other services, and found that telnet and ssh also had a delay of about 30
seconds to 1 minute when attempted from the local machine, though there is
no abnormal delay when logging on over the LAN.
     Can anyone give me an idea where to look for the problem?
/var/log/messages shows nothing out of the ordinary.  Running ftpd with the
-d option (debug information) doesn't seem to do anything, but maybe I'm not
looking in the right place.  Changing the nice priority doesn't solve the
problem, either.
     I should mention that I took out some memory and reduced the swap space
recently.  As far as I know that was the only configuration change.  But ftp
worked normally up until a few days ago.

Steve Childress