On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Stephen Childress wrote:
>      I have had Red Hat 8.0 installed for about a month and all seemed to go
> well, but recently I have had problems with the ftp service timing out
> (wu-ftpd version 2.6.2-8) when connecting from a remote machine on my local
> network.  If I ftp localhost from machine on which the server is running, it
> does eventually connect, but only after about 2 minutes.  I started trying
> other services, and found that telnet and ssh also had a delay of about 30
> seconds to 1 minute when attempted from the local machine, though there is
> no abnormal delay when logging on over the LAN.

The memory removal could be causing the problem, but it is probably DNS.
You need to make sure the server can do a quick reverse lookup of the ip
address of the client.

--
\ \/ / _       |~\  _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
 >  < / \|\  /|+-< | |   "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_|    a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole