On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:15:45PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:08:02 -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> > syslog.conf puts the mail.* logs to /var/log/maillog.  The issue is
> > that ipop3 uses the same facility.  Somebody else (and I accidently
> > deleted the message before I replied!) said he checked the source and
> > all the logging is hard-coded so I'm stuck.
>
> Are you able [and willing] to patch the imap package and build a
> non-logging ipop3d? If so, feel free to insert attached patch into
> the package spec file and rebuild it. ipop3d would then not log
> anything any longer (=> a real nasty hack). Alternatively, one could
> drop specific log messages from the source code and keep important
> ones, e.g. those with log priority alert. Just two files which you
> would need to edit and uncomment the lines calling "syslog".

Hi Michael,

I'm both able and willing to patch it, but I'd prefer to see a patch
that simply moved the logging facility from mail.* to ipop3.*.  That
would allow all the logging to still continue, but move them to a
separate file with a new entry in syslog.conf.  Is this difficult?  I'm
not much of a C programmer...

Thanks,
        .../Ed

--