I think you suggested to empty the value of the variable "ZONE=some_zone",
that's right?

But i found myself a better solution for configuring the timezones, the
command "timeconfig"
it opens a character-based menu (does not require the graphical environment)
where you can set the timezones.

Thank you,
bruno.