Hyperthreading may not be the issue in this case.  I had a Dell PE6600
that would lock hard, no network, no log file entries, no console
response and the issue was the NIC kernel module.  Check out these
threads:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/005083.
html
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/005093.
html

Do an 'lsmod' and if you see 'tg3' that is probably your issue.  When
Dell ships Red Hat preinstalled they use the bcm5700 module.  I switched
to that module and haven't had a lock since and we have Hyperthreading
enabled.

If you wish to try the bcm5700 module, edit /etc/modules.conf and
replace:

alias ethX tg3

with:

alias ethX bcm5700

Then at the console (not remotely) do the following:

service network stop
rmmod tg3
service network start

That should get you up and running with the bcm5700 kernel module and it
should remedy you issue.

The tg3 driver is better from what I've heard, so if you wish you can
try these __UNOFFICIAL__ kernel RPMS posted by a one of the tg3
developers to the Dell Linux PowerEdge mailing list:

http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2/rpms/

Please read the threads listed above and remember these are UNOFFICIAL.
I've been running with 2.4.18-17.7.xbigmem and the bcm5700 driver for
weeks now with no issues.

Hope this helps,
Andy.