** Reply to message from "C. Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 06
Dec 2002 14:51:49 +0900 (JST)

> > Uhm, I'm no iptables expert, but shouldn't you have > >
> forwarding rules seeing
> > as you want to forward packets?
> >
> > ---
> > Edward Dekkers (Director)
> > Triple D Computer Services P/L
>
> One might think that.  However, I was under the assumption
> that when the policy for the FORWARD chain is set to
> ACCEPT, which is the default for RH, you don't need to
> include any forwarding rules since everything should be
> forwarded.
>
> Several places I have checked, for example IBM's
> DevelopersWorks, have made no reference for the need to
> include any rules for the FORWARD chain if the policy is
> set to ACCEPT.

True, but you do have to have forwarding enabled on the router box.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward will turn forwarding on for the current
session,

or edit  /etc/sysctl.conf to include this line:

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

and then do (as root) "sysctl -w" (no quotes). This will enable ip forwarding
for the current and all subsequent sessions.

jb