First off, I want to thank everyone that responded to my
post.  I have posted in the past and got no response.

Anyways, to let you know I type this message on my
PowerBook(Mac OS X) which is routed thru my Pysche
router/server.  I now just have to test whether or not I
can access my company's VPN thru my W2K laptop.  If I can
do that, the rest is just play time for me.

Well, to make a short story even shorter.  Apparently,
there is a bug or limitation in the kernel of the FTP
version of RH8.0 that I have.  Once, I upgrade to the
2.4.18-18.8.0 kernel, I have had no problems what-so-ever
using the configuration that I listed in my original post.

I want to agree with and stress Rick Johnson's comment
"There's no
real reason to circumvent Red Hat's tools. They're there
for a good reason."  Everything that I have learned since
I first started working on Linux machines is don't install
anything that can't be done with what originally came
included with the original distribution.

Thanks all.