Ok, this is making me nuts. I've compiled from source before, but it's been awhile (2.2 kernel, I think). I'm hoping I've just missed something basic, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

I unpack the source (2.4.18), then execute the following:

make xconfig (modular kernel)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

My box (proliant 1600, currently running 2.2.19) has the smartarray SCSI controller, and so needs (as I understand it) the initrd file to be able to boot.

Installing from binary RPM is not really an option given all the likely failed dependencies...

The kernel compiles without errors, but for some reason there is no module-info-2.4.18 file created, or at least I have been unable to find it. grep-ing the source tree shows no "module-info" strings anywhere in the code, Makefiles, or Docs. Likewise "find / -iname "module-info*" only shows those files used by my current kernel, nothing for the 2.4.18 version. Usenet and web search have produced queries from other people with the same problem, but no solutions, which leads me to believe that the solution was so simple that they were embarrassed to post a follow-up. Unfortunately, not simple enough for me to figure out ;)

So, am I missing something obvious? Do I need to install an additional package to make this work? modutils perhaps?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Jefferson K. Davis
Technology and Information Systems Manager
Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93308
USA