On 12/3/02 11:48 AM, "Jack Bowling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> tapped the keys:

> ** Reply to message from Edward Marczak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Tue, 03 Dec 2002
> 09:45:10 -0500
>
> A couple of nitpicks:
>
>> If you're using SNAT/Masqerading and have forwarding enabled, try this:
>>
>> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1-p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state
>> NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> This should always be preceded by this line which ensures only SYN packets are
> seen as NEW:

Agreed.  The lines I posted was a small part of a script that I threw
together.  I have that line earlier in my script.  Good advice.

> When natting to another box, one doesn't have to specify the natted port if it
> is the same port as the original. IOW, you could have left off the :80 after
> --to int.ip.add.ress and it would have been shunted to port 80 anyway.

Right.  I do this in a generic way in my script so I can read source ip and
port, dest ip and port from a file.

Good to point out for the uninitiated.
--
Ed Marczak