You can use mondo rescue to mirror the drive to CDs, then restore. The
drivers are mostly in the kernel or modules for the kernel so unless you
have non-compatible hardware, it should just boot and work.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Ryan
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 3:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Possible: Painless switch of hard drive to new box?

I've got hundred of hours invested into my redhat 7.3 box software
configuration, but I'd like to move the system to a faster CPU, hard
drive,
etc.  My problem is that I would like to maintain all the following
during
the switch:

installed software
software configuration changes
various permissions, links, etc. on files
procmail rules
sendmail configuration
MailScanner modifications
Numerous VNC entries
ntsysv, xinetd settings
log files
user's files
mail spools
kernel, up2date updates
(basically the whole system!)

Does anyone have experience doing this type of thing easily?  I don't
suppose simply mirroring the hard drive onto the one in a new system
would
be proper:  the kernel, network card, video card, motherboard, etc.
drivers
wouldn't be correct!

Couldn't find much on google about this, but I'm sure it's been done!

Any tips or pointers to a howto?

Thanks much!

Ryan