I had this very same problem with a RedHat 7.3 installation.  As I recall, I
was taking a box that used to be Windows and replacing it with RedHat 7.3.
I created three partitions, /, /boot, and a swap partition.  I think the
swap partition ended up being /dev/hda2, but I can't remember for sure.
Every time after install, when the machine would boot, it would fail on the
fsck of the swap partition, and then complain about fsck'ing a mounted
partition (the swap partition).  Nothing I did solved the problem, so I
ended up just re-installing.  Before I did, however, I booted into Linux
rescue, fdisk()'ed away all the partitions, wrote to disk, quit, then
fsck()'ed in a new, whole-disk, Linux partition, used mkfs.ext3 to format
the partition, reboot, and then re-installed.  The problem went away.  I
never really took the time to figure out why, since the only time lost was a
re-install (which wasn't too bad considering the server had never even boot
one time).

ahp