On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 01:04, Dale Satterfield wrote:
> I have a box with RH 8.0 installed, and upgraded to kernel
> 2.4.18-18.8.0smp. I now am getting an error message that an error was
> found during the initial fsck, and it drops me into a shell. I tried
> fsck ( complains about running e2fsck on a mounted system), and
> fsck.ext3 ( with same complaint). The file system is ext3. I tried
> linux rescue but that didn't work either. How do I get around this ? If
> I just control-D to reboot, it hangs at the same place.

I had this problem, it being so rare (hundreds of Linux servers,
happened once) that I didn't have a rescue floppy handy.
So I downloaded a Linux toolkit bootable floppy image from
freshmeat.net and used that.  It worked.

However I'm sure there is a way to do it with the rescue CD's.
I mean every sys-admin I have ever talked to has had this
problem at one time or another.

Maybe someone from RedHat could tell us all what the magic
command line option for the rescue CD is to boot from the
rescue CD but *NOT* mount the filesystems?

Even when I boot to rescue and "ALT-F?" to the virtual terminal
where the command prompt is I can't get the system to fdisk
because the devices for /dev/hd? aren't created until the
rescue boot process mounts them.

And then when they are mounted I can't unmount because
the File systems are "busy"

I tried killing processes that were using the mounted disk
filesystems and then the rescue OS instance would exit
and reboot.... ARGHHH.