On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:05:21AM -0800, Patrick Nelson wrote:

> However, now I realize that what I thought I new about ntp is off a bit.  So
> I plead for anyone to set me straight. How do I check that my clients are
> getting time correctly from <RH72 system>.  The config file, ntp.conf is a
> non complex config file.  I had thought that rdate used ntp but that doesn't
> seem to be the case.

rdate and ntp are two different animals.

rdate requests a 32 bit answer from the server. These 32 bits contain the
current date of the server in unix format (number of seconds since 01/01/70).
The clock of the client machine is then set to this date, with no compensation
for network lag, skipping any cron jobs that would have been run between the
old time and the new one.

ntp will set up communication between the server and the client where the clock
of the client machine will speed up or slow down so as to match the clock of
the server machine (after compensation for any network lag). This means that
no cron jobs will be skipped and no significient lag will occur.

Emmanuel