I'm a little disturbed by something I'm seeing with the way that RH manages RPM security updates. It's almost microsoftian they way they are tending to take weeks or months to address critical security holes.

For example, the recent Apache<1.3.27 shared memory exploit, originally announced Aug 8 2002:
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0839

that RedHat just released updates for today:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2659.html

Fully 4 months after the original patch from Apache! I can accept a certain amount of lead time for QA testing and such, but this is not an isolated incident, and I for one am not amenable to running an insecure webserver for 120+ days!

Because of this, I find myself using less and less RPM and more and more source tarball compiles, because I do not feel that RedHat is addressing security concerns in a timely manner.

Am I alone in this feeling? Is RedHat doing anything to speed up that process?

--
Matthew Boeckman (816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration Saepio Technologies