On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 09:40, Matthew Boeckman wrote:

> > Are you sure that they're not addresing the issues?  *My* understanding is
> > that, in most cases, the security patches are applied to the version of
> > the app currently being distributed by RH.  This was certainly true with
> > regard to the OpenSSH bugs, and I'm fairly sure that philosophy is true
> > with Apache...there were a number of updates released for it, over the
> > last few months.
>
> Are they? I suppose it is possible as I inexplicably find openssh-3.1p1
> RPM's in updates.redhat.com. Not that I doubt you, but I would like to
> see some page somewhere that says so. Likewise I'd like to see the page,
> dated in August that lets us all know that they patched apache1.3.26 to
> fix that vulnerability and it's now available for download.
>
> If they are doing as you say, why the advisory that I posted earlier?
> Reading it it certainly doesn't say anything about "pull down the
> apache-1.3.26-2.rpm", but it does say to apply immeadiately the updates
> for 1.3.27 (which did not ship with 7.2, or 7.3).

Not sure what happened here with apache but redhat is typically VERY
quick to produce security updates.  Often they will be backported to a
version that more closely resembles the version current in the distro.
Or sometimes the version of a app as shipped does not have the
vulnerability mentioned in the notification.  THis doesn not seem to be
the case here though.

Bret