On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 10:25, Chuck Mead wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Matthew Boeckman enscribed the following:
>
> MB>> Are you sure that they're not addresing the issues?  *My* understanding is
> MB>> that, in most cases, the security patches are applied to the version of
> MB>> the app currently being distributed by RH.  This was certainly true with
> MB>> regard to the OpenSSH bugs, and I'm fairly sure that philosophy is true
> MB>> with Apache...there were a number of updates released for it, over the
> MB>> last few months.
> MB>
> MB>Are they? I suppose it is possible as I inexplicably find openssh-3.1p1
> MB>RPM's in updates.redhat.com. Not that I doubt you, but I would like to
> MB>see some page somewhere that says so. Likewise I'd like to see the page,
> MB>dated in August that lets us all know that they patched apache1.3.26 to
> MB>fix that vulnerability and it's now available for download.
> MB>
> MB>If they are doing as you say, why the advisory that I posted earlier?
> MB>Reading it it certainly doesn't say anything about "pull down the
> MB>apache-1.3.26-2.rpm", but it does say to apply immeadiately the updates
> MB>for 1.3.27 (which did not ship with 7.2, or 7.3).
>
> Psyche: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh8-errata.html
> Valhalla: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh73-errata.html
> Enigma: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh72-errata.html
> Seawolf: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh71-errata.html

Chuck, I think this makes his point although a little research shows it
not to bequite as bad as first thought at least in my mind.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vulnwatch/2002-q4/0012.html

reports the time line as :

VII. DISCLOSURE TIMELINE

8/27/2002 Issue disclosed to iDEFENSE
9/18/2002 Vendor notified at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
9/18/2002 iDEFENSE clients notified
9/19/2002 Response received from Mark J Cox ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
10/3/2002 Coordinated public disclosure

A fix for CAN-2002-0839 was first reported by apache week on October 4
when 1.3.27 was released.

http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/02-10-04#security

redhat issued rpms for Apache 1.3.277.3 on Nov 25 according to the
errata pages
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-222.html

the timestamp for the apache rpm on updates.redhat.com:

ncftp /7.3/en/os/i386 > ls -l apache-1.3.27*
-rw-rw-r--    1 2220     235       551561   Nov 20 22:55
apache-1.3.27-2.i386.rpm
ncftp /7.3/en/os/i386 > pwd
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/

and a buzilla email sent yesterday?  That does seem a little strange.

Bret