I don't think DirecTV DSL was ever available in the UK.

I also had their service and the gateway did work fine with Linux.  The
actual reliablity of the service and availablity of their technical
support was a complettely different matter.

Btw, being complette jerks to their customers seems to have payed
off, check out the following from their website (if your using DirecTV
DSL with Linux, might I recommend getting SpeakEasy soon -- and no, I'm
not an employee of SpeakEasy or COVAD):

December 13, 2002

Dear DIRECTV Broadband Customer,

We have some difficult news to share. With the dramatic change in the
capital markets and the significant shift in the telecom operating
environment, DIRECTV Broadband can no longer stand as an independent
business.

It is our sincere regret to inform you that DIRECTV Broadband will
discontinue operations.   DIRECTV Broadbands network will be operational
for a minimum of 30 days. We are working with our last-mile carriers to
determine alternatives for your broadband service.

We know you have many questions. The best way to keep up-to-date is to
refer to www.directvdsl.com . Well keep this site current with the latest
information on your account, billing issues and next steps.

If you are a DIRECTV subscriber, your satellite television service will
not be disrupted in any way. Please do not call DIRECTV customer service
regarding your DIRECTV DSL high-speed Internet service, as they will not
be able to help you.

It has been our priviledge to serve you.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Broadband Customer Care