On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:17:28 -0800, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:

>       In my infinite wisdom (and perhaps arrogance), I tried to
>       install win98 on my server.  That piece of crap proceeded to
> destroy my primary hard disk, which also included all my remote
> software for my windows network.

I'm sorry to hear that. Automated partitioning is one feature that
scares me. Hence I don't use it for my machine. It requires a huge
amount of trust into the maker of an operating system. I'm too
paranoid with regard to "automated removal and re-creation of
existing Linux partitons" or "automated partitioning of available
free space". What happens if any bug or unknown condition causes the
installer to get the disk labels wrong and format/use the wrong
partition?

> Fortunately, my secondary hard disk, with all my
> backups & home directories was still intact...  Until I screwed up on
> the reinstall of RH 6.2, and deleted all that, as well.
>
>       What a bitch, I lost over 10 years worth of files (since
>       slackware 2.0), various school work, and so on.
> I also lost all my digital
> pictures, all because I was stoopid & tried to install a M$
> product...  Ugh, I want to hang Bill Gates, right before I go shoot
> myself.

You've learned your lesson, I guess. A second hard disk in the
running system is not a sufficient backup medium.

>       Installed RH6.2.  Set up X.  Set up firewall.
>
>       Recompiled kernel (I have 2 eth cards) with ethernet as a module
>       (I
> recall that this was req'd for 2 of the same card).
>
>       Problem 1:  The kernel recompilation did not create a
> "module-info-blah.blah.blah" in my /boot directory.  So, of course,
> modules don't load at boot up.  Anyone know how I can fix this?

Run "depmod -a". The module-info file is not created upon compiling
a kernel. It comes from Red Hat and is for hardware configuration
tools.

>       Modules will load with an insmod <put the entire path here>, so
>       this
> is surmountable, and I can get to the outside world for list
> archives, research, etc.
>
>       Downloaded all the 6.2 errata, SRPMS, and related stuff.
>
>       Problem 2:  Tried to install (rpm -Uvh), & wouldn't quite work.
>       The
> I remembered the change in version of rpm.  Went back, installed the
> db3 stuff (worked fine), but rpm 4(?) won't install or upgrade.

What error do you get?

>       Problem 4:  I will want to compile all packages with SRPMS to my
> processor, to speed things up a little.  If I recall Correctly, a
> "rpm --rebuild foo.rpm" should do the job.  Is this correct?

That would not apply any special optimizations, but just the default
compiler settings for i386. To compile for a different architecture,
you would need to use the --target option.

> I tried
> it with one & it created a new install rpm in my i386 directory. - 2
> related questions:
>
>       (1) when you do this, does it automatically upgrade the package,
>       or do I have to do that separately?  (2)

You would need to install/upgrade this package and replace the
existing one.

>       (2) I don't see any CPU flags in the stuff going on, so how can
> ensure that things are getting compiled to my CPU type (686)?
>
>       Problem 5:  sendmail.  I recall that this version ships with
> sendmail configured as an open relay.  I don't recall what I have to
> do to change that.  I remember there was a line to change in the cx
> file, & maybe 2 in the cf file?  Any help is appreciated.

Most likely not in the .cf file, but in the sendmail.mc file
from which sendmail.cf is created.

>       Not a problem, but a question.  I don't intend to upgrade to a
>       newer
> version than 6.2 anytime in the near future, since the server does
> everything I need and more, and is apparently secure, but I'm
> wondering what packages from newer versions I should install (if any)
> - - any comments?

Upgrading to 7.3 is highly recommended, especially with the errata
support period of 6.2 in mind: http://www.redhat.com/errata

- --