On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:53:13AM -0800, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> Regardless, with the thought in mind that I might upgrade to 7.x or
> 8.0 (whose support ends only 9 months after 6.2's - what's up with
> that?)

I guess it means that Red Hat supporting old releases for free for
years really was a great deal, too good to last.  They seem to be
giving everyone some warning, but only promising a year of coverage.
It stacks up lots of expirations for a year from now.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out a year from now.
Maybe things wil have quieted down some by then.  I mean, how many
buffer overflows can there *be* in the core open source software?
Security bugs might get to be fewer.

However things shake out a year from now, there will be a lot of other
people in the boats labeled "7.x" and "8.0", the chance of finding a
safe way forward will be pretty good.  And Red Hat might still fix
serious security holes that come up, they just don't promise to do so.

No matter how all that shouting turns out at the end of next year, 6.2
people are going to be rather silently cut off in just a few weeks.
If I am reading the dates correctly, 6.2 will be three years old by
then.  That is ancient history in Linux terms.  The original
population of 6.2 was never very big by current standards, and the
remaining population?  You are in a small crowd, many of whom are not
paying any attention.

> I would just download all the RPM's & do a hard disk install.  My
> question there would be, how do I do the upgrade, then, as I have no
> intention of ordering the disks, as it will take too long for them
> to get here.

CD-R drives are getting pretty cheap, if you don't have a local
retailer who sells RH, and you have a fast enough network connection,
I would suggest you download images and burn your own discs.  And for
7.3, you are stuck with downloading or going to cheapbytes.com.

And I wouldn't do an "upgrade", but a full install.  Incremental
security updates seem to install nicely, but for major releases things
seem cleaner after a complete install from scratch.  If you have a
/home partition you might leave it alone, but I would do everything
else from scratch.

-kb