On Wednesday 18 December 2002 08:58 pm, you wrote:

> The screensavers work here with multiple consoles open. I don't know what
> that would have to do with the problem, but if that turns out to be the
> case, it's someplace to start.
>
> Does the screen stay on, or does it blank and not display screensavers?

The screen stays on, clock display does not get updated, and a mouse move or
keystroke causes the display to repaint, indicating that the system *thinks*
that it should be in screensaver mode, but the screensaver (kmatrix) does not
display.

As I mentioned, the results are preliminary--not enough time to determine if
the console window really is the cause or if it's just a statistical fluke.
So far, the screensaver has not kicked in if a console window is open but has
otherwise. Most of the time I do have a console window open. By tomorrow
afternoon I should have more data points.