First off, never use root for anything other than doing admin work.

as root, type "adduser <newusername>"  This creates a new account directory,
copies the files from the /etc/skel directory for defaul shells and such,
and in RH creates a user group and assigns the new accout to it ( same
name ).

Then do "passwd <newusername>" and set a password for the account.  Alt Left
Arrow over to a new virtual terminal screen and login with the new name.

Execute Pine and let it create the directory folders.

You can then use the configure menu option to plug in your isp's news, mail,
and pop servers.  This gets you the same functing as a windows e-mail
client.

You can also go onto create a .fetchmailrc file for fetchmail like:

poll pop.myisp.net
proto POP3
user <username>
pass <password>

And repeat for any mail servers you pull mail from ( I have two - an ISP and
school ).  Then run "fetchmail" this will tell you to set the ownership on
.fetchmailrc to something ( I forget what at the moment, makes it unable to
read from any one/procces not run as you. )  Then run it again and it will
suck all the mail from those servers to your inbox.  ( you can then go into
pine's config again and remove the mail server info you put in, since
fetchmail can get your mail for you and put it on your linux box's mail
spool )

Then you can add a crontab for fetchmail:

run: crontab -e

This will bring up your default editor, then try this out:

MAILTO=""
*/5 *    * * *    fetchmail

then save it.

This creates a cron event that repeates every five minutes, normaly cron
sends you the programs output in e-mail, the blank mailto tells it not to
bother - as it would fill your box really fast ( learned the hard way )

Best thing is to tell pine to send outbound mail as your ISP's domain name -
so all replies come back to the same place :)  Juse makes life easy.

Hope this helps.  If noe there is a nice detailed version of the same at
jgo.local.net - great quick and dirty howto's for the basics like e-mail and
ppp

  James Michael Keller | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.radix.net/~jmkeller